Air Tightness Testing
Why do you need Air Tightness Testing?
Air tightness testing is also known as air permeability testing, air leakage testing, and air pressure testing. It refers to the process of determining the total amount of uncontrolled air that escapes through gaps and cracks in the building’s fabric or envelope. It is a requirement for all new buildings, and a key factor in achieving energy efficiency status and energy performance targets.
Testing is carried out using a pressure test whereby fans are installed into the doorway of the building and used to create a measurable difference between the pressure inside and outside the building. The amount of air needed to maintain this difference can be used to indicate the volume of air escaping through the fabric.
Why is Air Tightness Testing Needed?
All new dwelling constructions in England and Wales require an air tightness test .That goes for commercial constructions as well as residential new build and developments, and must be measured by a competent person (someone registered with ATTMA). Air tightness testing is also a crucial element within energy efficiency calculations like SAP or SBEM, with the results forming part of the construction’s final score.
Our Air Tightness Testing Service
At Cook Brown Energy, we offer a comprehensive range of air tightness testing services depending on your sector and requirements. We can cover:
- ATTMA L1 registered air tightness testing for dwellings.
- ATTMA L2 registered air tightness testing for non-domestic buildings including industrial units, schools, hospitals, offices, warehouses, care homes, student accommodation, and more.
- ATTMA L4 air tightness testing for low energy buildings including Passivhaus, PHI Low Energy, EnerPHit and AECB Building Standard.
- Air tightness testing of smoke shafts for automatic opening ventilation.
- Air tightness testing of floor plenums (to BG 65/2016).
- Air tightness testing of hospital isolation rooms/suites.
We also provide expert advice and support on achieving air tightness through our consultancy services. Through a combination of design reviews, site inspections and toolbox talks and demonstrations on early completion tests, we’ll help you improve your building’s performance. In addition, if your building fails to achieve its targets, our engineers will demonstrate and explain the issues onsite using test equipment and/or smoke, provide a photographic report, and assist with identifying suitable solutions.
What Does Air Tightness Testing Include?
Our engineers will check the building is ready using fans to pressurise or depressurise the building and check the air tightness level is correct with results available there and then. If the results are not what is required, the engineers will then use the fan to demonstrate the air paths. Depending on the size and scale of the leakage, the issues can often be resolved on the same day, with the test repeated to show an improved result (often for no additional cost).
On completion of the test, we will issue a certificate within one working day, or onsite if agreed in advance. The test certificate can then be sent to the Building Control Officer and our Energy Assessment team to complete SAP or SBEM calculations and produce an Energy Performance Certificate.
We pride ourselves on being:
- Helpful –We work with you to achieve the best result, identifying potential issues and repeating the testing once these have been addressed. We are on hand to answer any questions before, during and after the testing.
- Knowledgeable –All our test engineers have years of experience and have received the relevant training to allow them to carry out their job to the highest possible standards.
- Flexible and Responsive –We issue quotes and certificates within one working day; our lead-times are typically around a week; however, we will try to accommodate where possible when tests are required by a certain date. We work around other on-site trades to minimise project disruption.
- Great value –Our prices are very competitive. We can also undertake air and sound testing on the same visit to save you more money. If you do manage to find the testing cheaper, we will beat any quote.
Air Tightness Testing with Cook Brown Energy
At Cook Brown Energy, we pride ourselves on providing a helpful, knowledgeable, flexible, responsive, and great value air testing service. We work with you to achieve the best result, identifying potential issues, repeating the air testing where necessary, and answering any questions you might have. All our engineers have years of training, and can issue quote and certificates quickly and efficiently in order to minimise project disruption. We can even undertake sound testing on the same visit to save you time and money – if you manage to find testing cheaper elsewhere, we will beat any quote! Contact us today to get started.