Simplified Building Energy Modelling (SBEM) Calculations
Simplified Building Energy Modelling (SBEM) is the Governments methodology to assess the energy and environmental performance of non-domestic buildings.
It is used to demonstrate Part L compliance of the Building Regulations England and Wales for properties other than dwellings. SBEM assessments may also be required for Extensions or Conversions to Commercial properties, and we can advise on these where needed.
The assessment involves using accredited software to calculate the properties energy performance, and this is done by a qualified and accredited Non-Domestic Energy Assessor (NDEA) who will require detailed information about the build including specification and floor plans etc.
Our in-house Energy Assessors will support you through this process and will always offer you the best advice relevant to your build. We use Dynamic Simulation Modelling (DSM) Software that provides an accurate assessment and allows our assessors to 3D model the building and simulate effects of daylight and overheating.
We recommend that you conduct the SBEM assessment at the design stage to ensure compliance with meeting Part L of the building regulations is established early on.
Our services include:
- A fully supportive consultancy service.
- Design Stage and As Built SBEM Calculations.
- Elemental (Walls/Floors etc) U-Value Calculations.
- Landmark Registration and Energy Performance Certificate.
Our recommendations to you:
- Get your SBEM at design stage.
- Beat the minimum: The minimum U-Values set by building regulations are there to be beaten, this is best done through good use of high performing materials.
- Efficient Heating: Installing an efficient and appropriate heating system. Try to avoid electric heating panels where possible.
- Manage your ventilation and solar gain: Passive ventilation and installing solar shades or coated windows are some options available.
- Low Energy Lighting: we advise using LED’s throughout due to their efficient operation and long life.
- Air Testing: Build as airtight as possible and air test your building.
We can provide you with SBEM calculations for your Commercial New Build, Extension or Conversion. Please refer to our Projects page or contact us on 01275 846995 to discuss this service with us.